Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Books! Me too!!

So Melanie posted about authors she likes, and Chelsea posted about Newbery books she likes. Me too!

Sadly, I haven't read many Newbery books. Here are the ones I did read:


The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman - 1996 Medal
A fun book about a girl that could do magic of some sort, if I remember correctly. I think there was a cat in the story too, but it might have just been in the picture on the front.(even though I had to find where it had been hidden throughout the house several times so I could finish it.)
The Great Fire by Jim Murphy - 1996 Honor
At least I think I've read it. I've read one like it, from the description
Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech - 1995 Medal
We had this read to us in Library, but I can't remember what it was about...at all.
Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman - 1995 Honor
I started this one. It was written in a weird journal entry format, if I remember correctly, and I couldn't really get into it.
Holes by Louis Sachar - 1999 Medal
Ok, I just saw the movie...
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine - 1998 Honor
Yet again, just the movie, but I'd like to read it, I've heard it's nothing like the movie.
The Watsons Go to Birmingham:1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis - 1996 Honor
One of my elementary teachers started reading this to us, but never finished. I thought it was funny when the one brother gets his lips stuck to the car mirror. That's the only part I remember.
The Wright Brothers: How They Invented the Airplane by Russell Freedman - 1992 Honor
I had a Wright Brothers phase in my life. I've read several books about how they got their ideas and such.
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry - 1990 Medal
Didn't know I'd read it until I read the description. I have all these stories in my head with no titles.
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen - 1988 Honor
I always thought the description of the pilot having a heart attack was interesting, yet disgusting.
Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan - 1986 Medal
Actually, I've never read this, and feel a little bitter toward it because it calls me plain. Maybe one of these days I'll read it and find out what it's actually about.
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson - 1978 Medal
Saw the movie, but I guess that doesn't count.
Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George - 1973 Medal
I liked this one. It was about a girl that learned to communicate with wolves in a way.
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell - 1961 Medal
I've read this one several times. Which says something, because I don't usually read a book more than once, it's difficult to get through it if I already know what's going to happen.
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George - 1960 Honor
We had to read this for school. I liked how he lived in a tree.

4 comments:

Lisa~ said...

Jenny wrote about books first, I believe.
http://web.mac.com/theparkinsonfamily/iWeb/Site/Jenny's%20Blog/1DEDDB35-F508-40D0-86D4-4F077EE6A7CB.html

Did we hide M.A. from you?

I need to get going on my reading again, too! So many good ones out there! :-)

Smart Helm said...

My Dear My Dear... watching the movies is NOTHING LIKE reading the stories. Poor soul doesn't know what she's missing.

I listened to Catherine called Birdy on CD and liked it better that way. And I too love the Island of the Blue Dolphin and Julie of the Wolves and... OK, I'll stop before this comment gets out of hand. Everyone knows I love books!

And I love sharing good books that I've read! So thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Yes, you tried to hide all books that had magic in them from me.
Key word: tried ;)

Julie and Spencer said...

I want to read more! Thanks for the good book advice.