Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sink Chronicles: Day 10 (back from the dead!)

I disappeared for a few days...did you miss me? I missed me. I was sick as a dog, out of town, and tackled by hormones. Today I feel back from the dead, although not yet 100%...does that make me a zombie?

Click here for today's assignment.

Day 10: You Can Do Anything for 15 Minutes

I actually really like today's assignment. If you haven't noticed, I'm a little A.D.D. (example: all the projects I've started, and haven't finished, all the tangents in my life) so I like to search for ways to help me focus better. In high school I took the generic of Ritalin for a while, but it didn't help much and just made me grumpy, so I decided to figure out ways to focus without the assistance of drugs. This timer idea really helped me get things accomplished.

Honestly I haven't been timing myself for the 2 minute hot spot attack and the 5 minute room rescues before, because I just do it for a little while, and that works fine. Today I timed myself doing things with a timer on my cell phone so that I knew I had to stay doing ________ until the timer beeped. I noticed that my attention span has shortened to about 5 minutes. I'd check the timer thinking it should almost be done, and only 5 minutes had passed.

On the baby step description for today it gives the example to go gather up garbage for 15 minutes and take it to the trash outside and then take a break for 15 minutes. That's what I did. I grabbed one of the many computer boxes floating around, took it up to the office (messiest room in the house), and emptied trash cans, dug under the desks for garbage, and attacked the shredder (which always gets overfilled and jammed because someone forgets to check the tub under it...coughDavecough...not that I'm pointing any fingers.) ;) Don't worry, there are many things I forget to do, too. My timer went off in the middle of the shredder ordeal, so I finished that up and took the box of trash out to the can. Then I read my book for 15 minutes.

I've noticed it's just as hard to stop working when you get into the swing of things as it is to stop relaxing when you're reading a good book. I was able to fit one more 15 minute timer job (folding laundry) in before Joshua woke up from his nap. Unfortunately a whining, teething, hungry baby doesn't you do 15 minutes of anything without interruption. I guess I'll be doing this baby step during naptime.

No comments: