Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Goings On

I feel like all I write about on here is pregnancy. It is a huge part of my life right now, but there are other things going on as well. For example I go to work every day and sit in a cubicle for 8 hours or so. I then come home and look at the mess gathering in our house. Usually I then plop myself on the couch and watch TV or read.

Sometimes I get ambitious and tackle a project. For example, on Saturday, I cleaned the kitchen. All the dishes were clean, the counters were wiped, the garbage was taken out, none of the food in the fridge was growing penicillin, and I even mopped the floor.

When I have a clean kitchen, I always get ambitious in my cooking. On Sunday (fast Sunday, sorry Dave!) I made two things I’ve never made before: bread and soup. I made banana bread with some ripe bananas I had put into the freezer and I made Sausage Corn Potato Chowder. Both were easy! Now the kitchen needs to be cleaned again.

Yesterday after work I made some cards for the stamping club I’m in. I even cleaned up my mess when I was done.

Let’s not think about the other huge projects that are still staring me in the face (cleaning out junk/clutter, the dust gathering on everything, rearranging the old office to be a nursery, finishing that couch project, etc.) I said, let’s not think about it!

About a month ago, my car died. Background info: We have 4 cars and a scooter currently. The Jeep is Dave’s toy that he’s owned since he was 16, but it doesn’t run right now. The BMW runs rough and would cost $millions to fix. The scooter’s starter is broken and the kick start is stripped. I drove the Nissan, which is a salvaged title, and Dave drives the Tahoe, which is technically a “company vehicle.”

Like I said, my car died. Today we found out it needs a valve job, new timing chains, and some gaskets. Yeah, it’s Greek to me, too. But I bet you’ve never seen an engine all torn apart before! Here are some pictures of my car all torn apart:

This one is of the inside of the engine block. The third one down is the one that needs to be re-machined because you can see light through those little circles, and that’s bad.

Here is what the engine looks like with the top taken off.

In this last one I accidentally found the parts that were taken out of the engine when I popped the trunk to get my stuff out.

Anyway. Turns out it’ll cost about $500 to $600 to fix it, which is what about half of its worth (because it’s salvaged). But then I’ll have my car back! YAY!

6 comments:

Mike + Mo said...

Yikes! Car problems are one of the worst things to deal with. So lame! Good job on the cards, I really really like them. Sorry about all your other projects.... maybe I will start nagging you to get them done... hehehe

Jacob and Kalli Hiller said...

Congratulations on tackling bread making, that isn't one I've tried yet.

I can't believe how close you're getting to being a mom!

Smart Helm said...

Crazyness!

Carrie said...

mmm, banana bread... i always make mine into muffins. easier to eat that way. i made some last week and the 3 bananas on my microwave are totally calling my name for me to make them into muffins tomorrow. i think this just sealed the deal.

Lydia said...

i have learned You can never just have one car problem at a time. that would make life just way to easy haha Good Luck!! and is the nesting kicking in??

Lindsey said...

We just poured so much money into my Trailblazer, it's crazy. But it's pretty important to be able to get from point A to point B ;) Yeah for having a working car again!