Dave loves to eat Chili-mac (mac & cheese with a can of chili mixed in). He eats it about 3 times per week on average. Sometimes, if there isn't a clean pan, he'll just rinse out the pan he used last to make a new batch. I keep telling him he'll get food poisoning, but he keeps not getting food poisoning.
Today I got home for my lunch break and a pot of water was boiling on the stove while Dave was in the office on the phone, so, being the helpful person I am, I put his mac & cheese in for him and put in a box for me as well, not thinking to see if he had washed the pan. I realized as I was draining it, that the outside was still dirty with chili. Of course I was a little grossed out, but it had boiled, so all the bacteria was probably dead anyway.
Dave had finished his phone call and so he came in to cook the chili. (I may be a nice person, but I'm wearing white pants today. Being the clumsy me with food, I'm not going anywhere near chili!) I teased him about not washing the pan before he used it. He looked at the pan a little puzzled for a second, then his face lit up with understanding. "Oh! I thought that you had just used it to boil something because it was clean on the inside, but I just remembered that last time I used it, I let Monkey lick it out when I was done!"
Of course I didn't throw it out! I had to have something for lunch. With each bite I take, I remind myself, "Dogs have cleaner mouths than humans, dogs have cleaner mouths than humans..."