Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fire!

This is the apartment complex across the street from us. The apartment that has the open window caught on fire today. The guy that lives in the apartment below noticed smoke coming through his light fixtures, felt the ceiling, and it was HOT, so he called the fire department, who told him to get the heck out of there. So he was standing outside in his holey socks. Dave texted me when all the trucks showed up, since he was at home studying for his Series 6 licensing.  I took my lunch a half an hour earlier than I planned, and came and stood around out in the windy Windy WINDY weather. I guess that the guy who lived in the burning apartment didn't make it.

By the time I got home, the firemen were cleaning everything up, and taking care of fire business. They asked us for our Bishop's phone number, and we offered our house for people who need a place to stay. I guess we'll get a call if they need it.

This guy was wearing a blue fire suit, as opposed to all the others, who were in yellow. Dave asked him about it, and it turns out he's just an intern. So he got to stand around and watch like we did.

I don't know how much water they put in there, but quite a bit. I think they hacked up the building a lot with their axes and nifty fire tools.

This is part of the couch that they brought out. That's all they really brought out of the apartment. 

Dave has a really nice camera on his phone, and it'll do panoramas for you. This is a panorama of the fire scene.

As you can see, there were 3 big fire trucks, at least 2 paramedic trucks, a few rescue trucks, 2 cop cars, and a parking cop jeep. They hooked one truck up to the fire hydrant (on right), and then ran a hose from that truck to the next truck (on left), then smaller hoses from that truck into the building. See above.

All in all, quite an eventful lunch break. 

3 comments:

Downtown said...

Holy smokes! No pun intended. I'm glad you guys are ok. I feel bad for the guy who died!!! This happened to our upstairs neighbors when I was in high school but luckily they survived and no one got hurt. Hope all is well! Tell everyone I said hi :)

Melisa said...

Wow. That is so sad. :o(

Lisa~ said...

Here's a news article about it:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11837714

The man was 38 years old. His smoke alarm had no battery in it.