Monday, March 16, 2009

Encore

Since I got a plethora of comments on my previous recipes and several “encore”s, I figured I’d do another. I have to please my audience. Admit it, you didn’t even read the recipe…just thought, “Oh nice, a few recipes I could try some day.” and proceeded to skim.

Stake Conference Tuna & Variation

Prep Time: 10 min.

Tuna
Mayo
Frozen Peas
Granny Smith Apple
Raisins
Pita Bread (pockets)

Variation: Cucumbers, Cheddar Cheese, Bread

Mix the drained tuna, mayo, peas, chopped apple, and raisins until correct consistency. I guess if you like celery you could add that too. I never do because I hate it. The apples add the nice crisp crunch needed. Fork into pita bread and devour. One day I wanted to make this, but I didn’t have raisins, apples, or pita bread. To add the crisp crunch, I put 1/4” slices of cucumbers onto a piece of bread, and to substitute the chewy part missing from the lack of raisins, I added some slices of cheese. This sandwich is easier to eat if sliced in half.

N.b: This is called Stake Conference Tuna because when we had Stake Conference in my home stake, some people had to travel 2-3 hours just to get there, and then there were meetings before and after for Youth and Leaders and stuff, so after the main meeting, there was always a huge stake picnic. My family brought this meal every time without fail (at least that I remember). So until I turned 12 stake conference consisted of sitting still on hard chairs (no, we were never on time to get the cushy benches) for 2 hours, and then a quick meal of Tuna & Pita then off to play with all the children from all over the stake on the stage. Once I turned 12, there was a Youth Fireside at 1 where I would proceed to try to sit next to all my friends and/or the current crush. Fun memories.

2 comments:

Bethanie said...

I too have great memories of the stake center in Santa Fe! The picknic was the best part. Yumm!

Melisa said...

What a sweet stake it was...