Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Healthy Month or Two

So at work we have wellness challenges where we can earn money back from insurance for being healthy. There is also a “prize” at the end of the challenge. The health challenge for March and April is to eat more vegetables and fruits. They have a little track shaped chart. The goal is to have 3 servings of fruits or vegetables per day 6 days of the week. In order to eat fruits and vegetables, one has to own fruits and vegetables. So yesterday I went to Sunflower Market and bought a ton of fruits and vegetables…ok, mostly fruits. I got 4 ½ lbs of grapes (red and green), 12 apples (3 granny smith, 3 fuji, 3 jonagold, and 3 some other kind), 4 grapefruits, 1 lb of asparagus (SPARGEL auf Deutsch, fun word), 1 head of romaine lettuce, a huge bunch of bananas, and 3 tomatoes. All for a grand total of $15. I love cheap produce. It’s good produce too. Did I mention I signed Dave up for the challenge as well?—hence the majority of fruit. He ate all 3 of his servings last night for dinner. I started marinating a chicken breast in orange juice so I can cook it up and have chicken salads for lunches with the romaine lettuce, and the croutons I bought for Knoedel on Sunday. Yummy. Can’t wait.

Now that my back is starting to feel better, I started exercising again. (Nothing major, mostly cross training) I reactivated my gym membership and rode one of the stationary bikes for 15 minutes. I felt great, like I could keep going for another 15, but I decided to stop. Good thing I did, because when I got off the bike, my legs yelled at me. My bum bones are bruised from the bike seat today. Good thing I don’t have an office job where I sit in a chair all day…

2 comments:

Matt said...

Haha . . . poor sarah.

If you find any decent-to-amazing vegetable recipes, you should share them. I find myself rather empty in that department.

Smart Helm said...

Good luck with that.

The only vegetable strong meal I ever make is stirfry...

Boring!