Tuesday, September 27, 2011

By Request

I've had requests to bring back the sink chronicles. Well, if you read my novel from yesterday, you know I'm not sink chronicling any more. Does that mean I'm not trying my darnedest to be cleaner, de-junk, and organize my life? No...I feel that is a talent I was not blessed with and have to work every minute to perfect it and will probably have to keep perfecting it even in my mansions above...or get a house keeper for my mansions above.
I've decided to postpone the garage sale until next week, weather permitting. Weather not permitting, I'm not sure what I'll do. Maybe I'll wait until next Summer. Isn't there a saying about garage sailing after Columbus Day? "In 1492, Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue. If you garage sale after Columbus Day...?"
To get ready for the garage sale, I need to go through all my stuff and get rid of things that I don't need, don't use, shouldn't need, shouldn't use, etc. This is very difficult for me. I always get the feeling, "Well, someday I might need it" or "What if I go looking for this tomorrow and realize I got rid of it?" or "I can't just throw it away, someone could use it!" I'm not sure if it is nature or nurture or a mixture of both, but it's a real problem.
Yesterday I started my house purge. We had some neighbors (Google wants me to spell it "neighbours"...I'm not going to!) who were moving so they went through their house and took bags and bags and bags of stuff to the thrift store. It makes me anxious just thinking about it.
I'm starting small. I don't know if you know, but my hamster, Squirt, passed away last month while I was out of town. I guess furry little rodents need air conditioning in our oven of a house just as much as we humans do. Poor guy. So I packed up all the hamster stuff, even the stuff from when I had a pet rat back in the day, and it is ready to go!
I got some new books for my birthday, so I went through my book shelves in the front room and nursery and rearranged and made a stack of books to get rid of.
I figure I've got a start on the living room, so I will work on that room again today. All I really have left in that room (the least cluttered room in the house) is magazines.
All day yesterday I thought about going through my box of hair-things (bands, clips, bows, etc.) but never got around to it. Today is the day for those as well!
Random thought: Can one sell vitamins at a garage sale?

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Sometimes I'd help Mommy clean out stuff, and I found it helpful to think about this: Just because you've always had it, it doesn't mean you always have to keep it. I mean, I had some toys and stuff that I didn't knwo where I got them, didn't ever play with, didn't even like, but somehow I felt like I should keep them, just because they were mine. No longer!
Also, I've just recently discovered that if I imagine myself moving into a new house, I think if I would actually miss having something. Like if I were decorating a new room, would I want that random plastic picture frame? Could my life continue without it? (yes) Would I buy it again if I were starting from scratch? (usually no) Is there something else that would serve the purpose (like a platter we never use... a large plate would work just as well!)?
Also, just because something is a gift, it doesn't mean you have to keep it forever.
Um.... you can always wait until Joshua is old enough to ruin stuff. That's how we got rid of a whole pile of dishes during this last move. :(
Another thing to ask yourself is, "Would I rather have this thing, or the space it takes up?" Space is worth a lot.
Good luck cleaning out! (This is from Chelsea, in case you couldn't tell.)