Last weekend I got to drive home to New Mexico and spend some time with my family and my best friends ever.
I headed out on Thursday at around 10am. At about 10:20am traffic was at a dead stop in the canyon for 2 HOURS. Actually, that’s not exactly true. It was stopped for 1 and ½ hours, and then it started moving again, only to stop again for another ½ hour. Turns out there were two major accidents. Sad story. If you’ve ever seen 2 Weeks Notice, this next part may seem familiar: While stopped, I had to pee, so I knocked on a stopped RV and borrowed their toilet! Luckily I hadn’t just eaten 2 chili dogs!
Monkey came with me on this trip to keep me company on the long drives.
Here are some highlights from my trip:
- The miles rolled over just outside Monticello!
- Chili Works! Since I got there Thursday, I was able to go get a delicious Chili Works burrito on Friday: Sausage Red Cheese of course (with the red on the side because I’m a wuss). If you’ve never had a Chili Works burrito, imagine the best thing you’ve ever eaten, then multiply that times 10 and take $6 out of your wallet. (Or your sister’s if you forget your cash and debit card at home.)
- 10 hours of Friday were spent making the 20 boutonnieres, 15 corsages, and 2 bouquets for Christin’s wedding. Luckily I had help throughout the process or it would have been more like 15 hours. Lesson learned: never leave floral tape in the car, or any other heat.
- The main event was Christin and John’s beautiful wedding! There isn’t much else to describe it but beautiful and delicious. The ceremony was wonderful, the reception was beautifully done, and the food was amazing. Can one really expect much less from the Stradlings?
- Lisa, Danielle, and I went out to Gardunos with Nate in Albuquerque. It had been probably more than 5 years since I’ve seen Nate, so it was great to catch up some and just giggle at memories. (tobang…tobang…to…bang *gasp!* hehehe) Not to mention the food – DELICIOUS! I had a Carne Adovada Chimichunga and 3 Sopapillas. I definitely looked pregnant after that meal. Oh wait…
- Then I went wedding hopping to Grace’s wedding. I got there at the end of the ceremony. Sorry! I stayed for a bit to chat with some friends, then had to run off to get the flowers ready for Christin’s reception (see above).
- Sunday I went to church, slept a long time, chatted with Jenny, Lisa, and Danielle for a while, and then went through the boxes of junk in my bedroom.
- Monday morning Danielle, Lisa, and I (and Monkey) went hiking along the rim trail. It was a beautiful morning and the views were breathtaking. New Mexico is so gorgeous (that part, at least).
- Then I started the long drive back home. That drive was uneventful, although I had to stop and nap for an hour in Durango. Monkey slept the whole time, of course.
All in all it was a wonderful trip! I really miss New Mexico in the Summer.