Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy New Year and Merry Belated Christmas!

I've always thought that making New Year's Resolutions was a little bit silly. All the resolutions/goals I've ever made at New Year's Day haven't lasted longer than a month or two. Yet every year I find myself thinking about what goals to make. This year I've had a little bit of help making goals.



Since I'm in the Primary Presidency now, we make goals as a presidency. Ward Conference is this week, so we have had to pound out exactly what our goals will be this year so we can we present them on Sunday at way-too-early-to-be-awake-and-at-a-meeting-on-a-Sunday-morning o'clock. I am pretty sure I can count those as very sound spiritual goals.


At my work, we have health challenges every 6 to 8 weeks. If we participate in and complete the challenges we get to get money back from our health insurance plan, plus a nifty cheapo prize. The challenge for the holidays was to not gain more than 2 lbs of weight (losing weight was ok) and to get 7 ½ hours of sleep or more at least 3 times per week. That challenge was relatively easy for us as we enjoy sleep, and neither of us gains weight very easily (knock on wood).



The challenge for this and next month is to make 3 goals and to record our progress. The three areas for goals are exercise, nutrition, and weight. Dave and I haven't sat down and discussed what our goals will be, but the challenge starts on Monday, so I assume we will this weekend. I've been thinking of possible goals, and here is what I have so far:



Exercise – Exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes each. The CDC recommends 2 ½ hours per week or 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week, but as I'm currently getting pretty much no exercise most days of the week for a total of 0 hours per week, I think an hour and a half is a good goal.



Nutrition – Since we have a substantial stack of sodas sitting in storage, stowing one in my sack of snacks is a seriously unhealthy rut I'm stuck in. I might set the goal of not drinking any sodas or maybe just one per week.



Weight – I'm not terribly worried about my weight, so I might just set a goal of maintaining my weight, since I have to make a goal in order to complete the goal.


As Dave and I decide our goals, I'll post what they are. It helps to know that other people know about one's goals.


I'm a little excited about the exercise goal. We have a new toy that will assist in completing that goal. We spent some of our Christmas money to get a Toaster Oven! I'm very excited to not have to use the broil option in the oven to make Egg Ham & Cheese McMuffins for breakfast. (How does that help you exercise!?) Oh, right, and we got a Wii with Christmas money, too! We're going to get Wii fit, and we have Wii sports, and Wii play, and Wii Rock Band 2. We'll probably get Wii Mario Kart next month for Dave's birthday. Wii!!!



Finally, for my own personal goal for the year, I've decided to write a book, or a series. I've been reading some of the books I got for Christmas and it got me thinking that I could write a book. If I spend enough time planning out the plot and characters and everything, instead of just trying to sit down and write it from thin air, it could be pretty good. (Please don't judge my book by how boring my blog posts are…I promise it will be exponentially more entertaining.)



2 comments:

Chelsea said...

You should have that fat sunbathing man be one of the characters in your book. Ha ha ha ha!

Kevin + Marcy said...

You can do it, Sarah! You can totally give up soda. After awhile, you don't even think about it. Since my resolution this past summer to stop drinking it, I've had only one (and it wasn't even as good as I was expecting it to be because my taste for soda had changed just by not ever having it). Good luck!